Lexwell provides a range of corporate and business services to private businesses, government owned corporations, its directors, supervisory boards and shareholders. We serve as general counsel for many corporations and represent them in all aspects of their corporate life – from the original establishment of the enterprise through all aspects of its evolution and operations. We can advise you on:
- Maintaining Statutory Records
- Dealing with Annual Return and the filing of other documents
- Company Name Changes
- Branch Registration
- Director’s Registration
- Director’s Responsibilities and Duties
- Business and Director’s License
Lexwell represents developers, equity investors, lenders and governments in connection with the structuring, financing and operation of large infrastructure and other development projects – power, energy, port, airport, roads, resorts, telecommunications systems, and other major industrial undertakings. Lexwell has acted as counsel to either borrowers or lenders in financial transactions:
- US$ 132,051,000 fixed rate senior secure notes issue by Juliana Airport – 2013.
- US$ 33,000,000 fixed rate senior notes issue by Gebe utility company – 2007
- US$ 86,000,000 secured note issue by Harbor group of companies – 2007
- US$ 118,590,000 fixed rate bond issue by Juliana Airport – 2004.
- US$ 12,000,000 fixed rate senior notes issue by Gebe utility company – 2004
- Refinancing of a Yacht Club – US$ 4 million
- Refinancing of a large International Hotel Group – US$ 300 million
- Refinancing of a large International Hotel Group – US$ 150 million
- Financing of the purchase of a Yacht Club – US$ 30 million
- Development of a South American Energy Project – US$ 85 million
- Development of the New Government Administration building – US$ 17 million
- US$ 25,000,000 partly paid, amortizing private placement for utility company – 1999.
Our Trademark and Copyright Practice provides comprehensive services in all aspects of trademark and copyright management. We prepare and prosecute trademark applications and appear regularly in trademark cases pending before our courts. We can advise you on:
- Registering trademarks for Sint Maarten and other Dutch Caribbean Islands.
- Screening and clearing proposed trademarks and brand names.
- Enforcing copyrights.
- Litigating trademark and copyright infringement and dilution claims and protection against counterfeiting, infringement, misappropriation and unfair competition.
- Counseling clients on proper trademark usage, fair use and related issues.
Labor and Employment
The labor laws on Sint Maarten are complex and often misunderstood by both employers and employees. We have considerable experience in drafting employment contracts and we have the ability to advise how to avoid lengthy and often costly litigation once a dispute arises. We represent clients on labor and employment issues in litigation and administrative hearings. We have defended employers in courts and in administrative procedures against class action and single-plaintiff claims breach of contract, workplace torts and the enforcement of trade secrets.
Your business can not survive if outstanding debts are not collected. There are preventive measures you can take to minimize risks. We provide these measures such as drafting your general terms and conditions. We can also assist you with asset searches, the registration of liens, obtaining court orders and arranging public auctions. We can offer special tariffs upon request.
Administrative Law – Immigration
Since the introduction of the LAR (National Ordinance Administrative Justice) Lexwell has built its reputation representing clients in the areas where law, business and government intersect. We appear before the administrative court and government agencies numerous times each year, representing the interests of domestic and international corporations, trade associations, nonprofit organizations and individuals. We offer full service to companies and individuals with regard to the application and prosecution of work permits and residence papers.